COVID-19 Vaccination Comes to Advanced Pediatrics
We are very pleased to announce that starting on May 7th, 2021, Advanced Pediatrics will have the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine and will begin to administer this two-dose COVID vaccination series to all of our patients ages 16 and older.
First, many thanks to science, for creating a very safe and very effective vaccine that protects against harm from this deadly pandemic. We also want to thank the US government for ramping up vaccine availability, our Ohio government for issuing vaccine to pediatricians, and the Ohio Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics who helped move the Governor to do so.
The Basics of COVID-19 Vaccination at Advanced Pediatrics
- Age. For now we can only give the vaccine to patients who are at least 16 years old. We cannot give it to anyone who is 15 years old or younger, yet. We cannot give it to parents.
- Appointments. The vaccine can only be given by appointment. Appointments are only on a first-come, first-serve basis. Call 216-591-1515 to get your appointment. A second dose appointment needs to be made when you book your first appointment.
- Allocation. The Ohio Department of Health has sole power to ship our allocation of COVID-19 vaccine. We do not order the amount. And so we will receive a weekly allocation and make appointments until all vaccine doses are spoken for.
- Where. The COVID-19 vaccine will be given in our office, but after it is given, the person who got the vaccine needs to wait 15-30 minutes in their car. The longer time is recommended if you have a history of severe allergic reactions. Someone should be with that person in case any reactions occur and you need to contact us.
- Have someone with you and prepare to wait after the vaccine. As noted, we will require someone to accompany the person to be vaccinated and for both to wait at least 15 minutes post vaccination to watch for any allergic reactions. Should allergic symptoms such as swelling, wheezing, or feeling faint occur, call our office and we will arrange for medical attention.
- For the future. Formal approval to allow us to give COVID vaccine to all children 12 years of age and up is expected next week. The day it is approved, we will be giving it to those 12 years of age and older. Stay tuned.