Those Odd Bumps in our Neck-
3. Lymph nodes monitor all body spaces for evidence of infection and other worrisome cells, and if they find them, they destroy them in that space.
4. Lymph nodes typically lie dormant most of the time, but now and then they activate to make the antibodies and white cells necessary to defend their space. When they do this they get much bigger and even a bit sore. Not only is that normal and OK, but it is necessary for life. If we didn’t have lymph nodes, or if our lymph nodes didn’t activate and get big when needed, we would have no immune system.
5. The two main reasons to think your child’s lymph nodes are big for a worrisome reason are:
a. If they get very, very tender, red, and even feel fluid-filled.
b. If they keep growing, rather then enlarge and stay the same size for many months
6. Both of these worrisome signs are very unusual, by far the vast majority of enlarged lymph nodes, or swollen glands, stay about the same size, do not get very red or very, very tender.
7. So unless the unusual signs appear, enjoy your lymph nodes, they are what keeps us safe.
To your health,
Dr. Arthur Lavin
*Disclaimer* The comments contained in this electronic source of information do not constitute and are not designed to imply that they constitute any form of individual medical advice. The information provided is purely for informational purposes only and not relevant to any person’s particular medical condition or situation. If you have any medical concerns about yourself or your family please contact your physician immediately. In order to provide our patients the best uninfluenced information that science has to offer,we do not accept samples of drugs, advertising tchotchkes, money, food, or any item from outside vendors.