The Prescription Drug Epidemic-
- This problem is now officially rampant. When you get to the level of 1 in 4 teens abusing prescription drugs, that means nearly every family with teens has a child with or a friend with this problem.
- The #1 category of abused drugs in the US in teens are the stimulant medications such as Ritalin or Adderall. About 1 in 8 teens in the US abuse stimulants. Combining these drugs with others can be quite dangerous.
- It’s not new, but it’s newly big. The rates are up 33% in the last 5 years!
- Kids use them to enhance performance, and to experiment. Consider skittle parties- where teens dump all the family’s drugs into a bowl and pop away.
The major difference is that nearly all prescription drugs also have quite good uses, but they should be limited to use under the direction of a licensed, thoughtful medical professional.
- Know that the abuse of prescription drugs demands the attention of every parent of a child over age 8-10. With the rate hitting 1:4, no one can assume that their child is not at risk.
- Know that this is a very dangerous problem. Children and teens really do come to harm from this practice.
- So, talk to you children, let them know a prescription drug is a chemical with power. It’s build to change the body, for real.
- Let your children know that using prescription drugs without a prescription is common, and dangerous. Let them know combining drugs can be deadly.
- **Keep every prescription drug in your home under control** That means knowing where every such bottle is, and checking the pill count at regularly timed intervals, to make sure that the number of pills leaving the bottle does not exceed the prescribed amount or rate.
*Disclaimer* The comments contained in this electronic source of information do not constitute and are not designed to imply that they constitute any form of individual medical advice. The information provided is purely for informational purposes only and not relevant to any person’s particular medical condition or situation. If you have any medical concerns about yourself or your family please contact your physician immediately. In order to provide our patients the best uninfluenced information that science has to offer,we do not accept samples of drugs, advertising tchotchkes, money, food, or any item from outside vendors.